c4oa header mint

Grade the Half Eagle

More
12 years 5 months ago #3725 by maryelise8863
Thanks, Garryn! You have far more experience grading coins in general, so your take on this one is more important to me than whether or not you guess exactly.

Yeah, I was admiring the Drummer's Half Eagles as well...sigh. His COTW article is how I learned the die state of this coin.

I can't speak to the luster on this Half Eagle because that's something I'm still learning to understand. (I did do the cartwheel luster test on my 1878-CC Morgan, and am pleased to say it passed! At least, I'm pretty sure it did...:unsure:)

Leave it to me to ask for coin opinions right before Thanksgiving...

Mary Elise

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3726 by randysc
Replied by randysc on topic Re:Grade the Half Eagle
I agree with Garry. It has good detail but it has a good amount of lines on it also. Possibly it has an old cleaning. I think it has more detail going for it than is found in an EF 40-45, with the marks possible AU detail "Cleaned". Hard to tell with just pictures. I would guestimate a price in the range $700 to $900 depending on actual grade, the higher price being it an actual AU coin. This is an interesting test, Maryelise.
-R-

More
12 years 5 months ago #3727 by maryelise8863
Thanks, Randysc!

I am so tempted to spill the beans! But I'll give it a little longer. I have never known the Drummer not to chime in...which is meant as a compliment!

You guys are giving me a lot to think about. This test is actually working in reverse too...testing me on how I evaluate a coin. I value everyone's opinion and appreciate your participation.

maryelise

Mary Elise

More
12 years 5 months ago #3730 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Grade the Half Eagle
There is so much to grading. Just when you think you have it.... it changes. Still a very nice looking coin. I am sure we have all seen lower graded coins that look better than the higher graded examples.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 5 months ago #3731 by maryelise8863
OK, here's the scoop...

Randysc was right! It is AU Details, Improperly Cleaned.

What I like about this Half Eagle is that I don't see as much of a scratched circle on the obverse with the naked eye, which I've seen on nearly every other coin. Do you know what I'm talking about? It also has more luster than the photo shows.

This coin isn't a "great deal" because an XF or AU are in the same price range, give or take obviously. But it's also an 1892-CC, and there are less of those in circulation. Still...

Would you succumb to the eye appeal of this Details coin, or hold out for a graded one? At this price point, it's a valid question.

Thanks for playing!

Mary Elise

More
12 years 5 months ago #3738 by maryelise8863
Oh...and for those who were wondering...this Half Eagle is not my coin.

I really, really, really thought about it though. But after your feedback, and help from another person on Coin Talk, I decided against it. It's really out of my budget league as well (and it's not my birthday yet!). Plus, for comparable money, I could get an XF or possibly even an AU50...without the problems.

This also made me think...I might not want to continue as a "Details" CC collector. Perhaps the 1870s decade will be my detail coins...since most of them are. But someday when I move into the 80s and 90s, perhaps those decades will reflect a more mature collector.

Again, this was fun! I always appreciate your willingness to answer my questions and share your know-how!

Mary Elise

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds