c4oa header mint

Grading Half Eagles

More
12 years 5 months ago #3754 by coindrummer
Greetings all C4OAers

RE: Mary Elise's thread on "Guessing the Grade"

Can anyone tell me why these two virtually identical wear pattern; eye appeal; luster; surface and devices high point condition and detail "CC half eagles are graded so differently? :unsure:

I hope someone out there can because I am baffled as to why these were graded so:

All answers and comments are appreciated

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3756 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Grading Half Eagles
WOW Drummer as I have said before, your collection of Carson City half eagles are just unbelievable. Some time I wonder what the graders are thinking when they look at a coin. Although they must see hundreds if not thousands in a day/week how can something the looks so much the same be different. Maybe the 1891-CC was graded on a Monday and the 1893-CC graded later in the week. To me the luster on the 93 jumps out a bit more than the 91. With all the strike differences that this series had maybe some of the graders are not familiar with these minute type details, if a coin is not fully struck it may be confused with wear. Just my two cents worth.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #3758 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Grading Half Eagles
Hi Loosechange

Thank you for your kind words and your reply.

My photo's appear to make the two coins look slightly different because of lighting...believe me, with a live and in person viewing the two coins are virtually identical. I've actually had more than a few experts examine both coins who proclaimed that the 1891-CC $5 PCGS AU-58 had slightly more detail than the 1893-CC $5 PCGS MS-61!

I've examined the coins under high magnification and I'll be darned if I can detect any "rub" on the high points that are typically found on properly graded AU-58 "sliders"

Go figure! Perhaps you are correct when you stated that they may have been graded by different graders on different days. :side:

In all honesty, the 1891-CC $5 "AU-58" is a Mint State coin and should be graded thus.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by coindrummer.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3760 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Grading Half Eagles
My suggestion Drummer would be to resubmit the coin and see if it comes back properly graded.The graders can sure be picky though.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 5 months ago #3762 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Grading Half Eagles
Good advice about re-subbing the 1891-CC $5 PCGS AU-58 Loosechange,
I might just do that soon.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 5 months ago #3767 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:Grading Half Eagles
Are you planning on cracking it out or just submitting for a regrade?

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds