c4oa header mint

Lone Mountain

More
13 years 1 month ago #2306 by randysc
Lone Mountain was created by randysc
I hope this catagory is the right one to make mention of this bit of information, I think it may be. Last August while in Carson City for the Mint's coin show, I did a little site seeing. Now I've been visiting Carson City dozens of times since my father introduced me to the area when I was a high schooler back in the early 70's, that's 1970's. Anyway, as many times that I have been to the area, never did I know of this place, the Lone Mountain Cemetery.
This place has the final resting places of many of Carson City's most notable people, even the grave of the city's beloved founder and the first superintendent of the mint on Carson Street, yes that's right, Abraham Curry! There are also graves of other noted names such as Jennie Clemens, niece of Samual Clemens, V.& T. Railroad superintendent H.M. Yearington, famous stage coach driver Hank Monk and Mathias and Marcella Rinckel, remember them?
So, next time you visit Carson City, I would recomend looking the place up and checking it out, pay some respect to old Abe Curry. The staff there are very courteous and will help you locate a particular grave your looking for. For more information check out the Carson City website.
-Randy-

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #2307 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:Lone Mountain
That must be a very interesting place, I understand there has been quite a bit of restoration done there. On page three of the Carson City Ephemera section, new collecting thread, I have a copy of a check written to George Bell, Postmaster of Carson City by Theodore Hofer as Cashier of the Bullion and Exchange Bank. George Bell is also in the Lone Mountain Cemetery. You should post a picture of the gravesite here. Maybe we should start a thread doing that.

Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Garryn.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2310 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Thanks Randy, Hoping to get out there this summer and we are always looking for more historical places that are off the beaten path. Thanks for the pictures too Garry!

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #2313 by deepsouthspike
Replied by deepsouthspike on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Those are pretty awesome pictures and information from the signed check. I will have to go through my stack of checks and try to research who some of the people were. That's amazing that you located the headstone from George Bell! Wow this is all too interesting.....

I will be sure to visit this cemetery on my next visit to Carson City!
I am attaching a picture of a book I just ordered, I believe it was just published recently.

Best,
deepsouth.....
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by deepsouthspike.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2315 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Deepsouthspike, did you order the book off of Amazon? i would definitely be interested in that.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 1 month ago #2317 by deepsouthspike
Replied by deepsouthspike on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Loose.....

Yes, You can order this book off of Amazon or even Ebay. You can also order the movies we have been discussing from Amazon and Ebay as well.

enjoy!

deepsouth..........

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds