c4oa header mint

Lone Mountain

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #2318 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:Lone Mountain
My high school English teacher wrote one of those about my home town. I have a bunch of those books. I just ordered one from Amazon.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Garryn.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2319 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Those books come in handy when you want to go metal detecting too! I had a coworker that would research areas to detect and he always seemed to score big time. He gave me a Fugio Cent that he found while metal detecting it is a neat piece ( hard to see but you can tell what it is ). I had a classmate that contributed to a book like that of my hometown, Methuen, Massachusetts. The only town from what I know named that in the whole country. ( named after a British Lord ).

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 1 month ago #2320 by randysc
Replied by randysc on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Those books are real easy to get. I got one on Carson City from Barnes and Noble, ordered it one day and recieved it the next. The're the "Image of America" series and there are several books of different topics, there is also one on "Virginia City and the Big Bonanza", great books loaded with tons of period photographs.
Did I mention that Abe Curry, the founder of Carson City, the Carson City Mint's first superintendent, former half owner of the Gould and Curry mine, probably the most prominent citizen of Carson City is buried at the Lone Mountain Cemetary? That I stood at at the foot of the very grave of this icon of the American West, very humbled at that moment? It was an appreciation unlike any that you will find in any book. If any serious Carson City coin collectors travel to Carson, I highly recomend they seek this place out.
-Randy-

More
13 years 1 month ago #2321 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Hi Randy,
That is definitely on my "go to " list. Who needs to go anywhere in the world when we have history right in front of us. I am sure glad you posted about the Lone Mountain Cemetery.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #2347 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Hi C4OAers

There's also a very historic cemetery located in Dayton NV (just down the hill from Virginia City). For those of you who read Rusty Goe's book James Crawford - Master of the Mint at Carson City - A Short Full Life you'll recognize Dayton as James' Nevada hometown.

A very important individual (and quite a character by all accounts) is buried in this historic NV cemetery....James Finney, a native of Virginia - nicknamed "Old Virginny" was the loveable "town drunk" for whom Virginia City was named after!

Here's some pictures of this special site taken August 2010:

The Dayton NV Cemetery

Your's truly the drummer with his better half Jo Ann at the eternal site of James "Old Virginny" Finney

Burial site of James Finney

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by coindrummer.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2352 by randysc
Replied by randysc on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Drummer,
My goodness, you have shined light in another direction to bring a pilgrim of Comstock history closer to those who have carved it out!
It took me forty years to find about the location of Abe Curry's grave and by sharing it with all of you, I find out about the resting place of Old Viginny Finney, the man who by stumbling and breaking a bottle of whiskey gave, to save face, the name christening the ground "Virginia City". This is big! Now this is something that I will seek out the next time I am over there. Thanks Drummer.
-Randy-

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds