c4oa header mint

Lone Mountain

More
13 years 1 month ago #2370 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Hi Randy

If you (or any other member) might know the highway 50 mile marker number, let me know. I would love to get pics of the Sutro tunnel.
I'd still love to get permission from the property owners to get right on site sometime. I'm not even sure how far the tunnel goes in anymore. Do you know if it's caved in? I know that the entrance is locked up so it can't be entered. probably good as it's old and possibly very unsafe.
It's funny, I just read an article this morning about Sutro and all the trouble he had getting this project of his going. By the time it was completed in 1879 it was too late. The mines were already deeper than his tunnel...most were played out....the ventilation that Sutro promised his tunnel would provide wasn't to be. The project itself went into foreclosure the very year it was completed. Sutro moved to San Francisco, became mayor and passed away 2 years later...he died a very rich man.
Thank you for your info Randy.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2371 by randysc
Replied by randysc on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Drummer-
I don't know highway marker number, but if you make it to the Carson City mint coin show this August I would be more that happy to hook up with you and show you the spot. Or sometime when you plan to visit the area perhaps we can set something up. From what I have heard, the tunnel has caved in at several spots and is no longer functionable. As you stated by the time the tunnel was completed, the mines were already deeper that the tunnel's level of intersection. It was too long that the air was already stagnent by the time it arrived to the mines so it didn't serve too well as ventilation. It did transport ore and supplies to and from the mines but did little business as the Virginia and Truckee Railroad had that business already sewed up. Sutro was a brillant man, however, seeing the writting on the wall, right after completion, he sold out his interest for nearly $1,000,000, moved to San Francisco and invested in real estate, became mayor if San Fran and, as you said, died in 1898, a very rich man. I too, would very much like to visit the site of Sutro, but as you also said, it is private property and I wouldn't even know where to begin to seek out premission. I do know a good spot to view the entrance, if interested, let me know and we'll hook it up.
-Randy-

More
13 years 1 month ago #2372 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Hi Randy

Yes..I will be there in August (26, 27, 28)...I'll see you at the "CC" mint (NV State Museum) for the coin show. Then you can help me locate that spot of the tunnel entrance.
Thanks for all the info!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2375 by randysc
Replied by randysc on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Great, I'll see you then.
-R.-

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds