c4oa header mint

Lone Mountain

More
13 years 1 month ago #2353 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Hi Randy

Thanks very much. I'm happy to provide you with an idea for a new fun place to go next time you visit this historic area. You'll love wandering through old town Dayton...it's pretty small and easy to miss if you just drive through it. Once you turn down the old main street of Dayton, the fun adventures await. The "Wild Horse Saloon & Steak House" is a must see restaurant and bar fixed up in beautiful authentic Victorian decor. It opens for dinner in the late afternoons and is 5-Star!

You sure got the story right with old Virginny...he reportedly stumbled often! That one fateful stumble shattering his whiskey bottle
was indeed the christening that gave Virginia City its name!

Amazing history.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2354 by randysc
Replied by randysc on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Drummer-
I have been to Dayton many times, it is a lovely town, but must admit never took the time to totally explore what the town has to offer.
Now, thanks to you, I have not only a historic place to seek out but a fine eating establishment to look out for also. Man, thanks a bunch.
-Randy-

More
13 years 1 month ago #2357 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Hi Drummer, Like Randy says another sight to see when we can get out to Nevada!!Thanks for all this great info!

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 1 month ago #2359 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Lone Mountain
Hi Loosechange

I'm happy that you enjoyed the post. there are so many great things to check out within this historic Comstock area. One place I've never been to is the entrance to the Sutro tunnel. It's not far from Old Virginny's burial site in Dayton, but it's on private property. I'd love to get permission to give it a visit sometime...get some nice pics of it.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2360 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Lone Mountain
I usually find that when approaching historic areas like that when you take a student of history approach people become pretty receptive to that, at least in my experience. I found people more friendly out west that up here in the cold northeast. Good luck and hope to see pictures if you get some!!

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 1 month ago #2369 by randysc
Replied by randysc on topic Re:Lone Mountain
You know Drummer, you can see the Sutro Tunnel entrance from the roadside of Highway 50. Last August while there for the C.C. coin show, we (my family and I) took a drive out to the area and stopped on the side of highway 50 adjacent to the town of Sutro site. I took a pair of binoculars, not even a big pair, and scanned the area and low and behold I was able to see the tunnel entrance. It was right there in plain sight, very easy to see. If someone had a decent camera with a telephoto lens, I bet one could even get a decent picture. I know it is still some distance to the town from the highway, I would say one half to one mile as the crow flies, but you can definitely see the entrance.
-Randy-

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds