c4oa header mint

ANA Chicago Show...next week!

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #2981 by maryelise8863
I'm here! Not on the show floor yet. My volunteer assignment begins at 9 a.m. CST.

Disappointed though...got a blank shirt because someone screwed up the imprint on mine. No collectible shirt for me!

Uh oh, gotta start helping. More later!

Mary Elise
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by maryelise8863.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #2983 by maryelise8863
"Are they planning to make a human tree out of me?"

This was my initial concern when learning my first day at the World’s Fair of Money would be spent…in the Kids Zone. What can I say? Kids make me a little nervous! Visions of slides into pools of plastic balls, and screaming children unaccompanied by parents danced through my head.

This is Mary Elise reporting live...from my living room...after my first grueling day volunteering at the World's Fair of Money in Chicago.

Actually, it wasn't grueling. In fact, I had a pretty good time! Of course, the Kids Zone was nothing like I’d imagined. It was educational, and this big kid actually learned a few things as well.

When children began their tour through the Kids Zone, they saw three bottles sitting on a table. One was full of salt, another with shells, and another with cocoa beans. “What is money?” a nearby sign read. “Do you know which one of these have been used as money?” Marilyn Rebak, editor of the ANA Magazine asked me. “Yes, it’s all three!” (Whew.) Apparently money isn’t just coins or paper. It can also be something of value exchanged for something else of value…or something like that.

Kids also had the opportunity to draw their own coin or paper money. My new little friend, Stephanie Walker, decided to draw her own Ocita coin. What’s an Ocita you ask? Apparently it’s a “little bear.” So I guess the Ocita coin is good in exchange for…bear hugs! Stephanie’s mom gave me permission to take a picture of Stephanie and her newly drawn coin, which you might see posted later on the ANA website as well: www.worldsfairofmoney.com/index.php?id=290 .

Stephanie and I also checked out another Zone activity: Coins From Around the World. First she reached into a big bag full of coins, and pulled out one from Mexico dated 1959. Then she found Mexico on the map and put a flag on the country her coin came from. She got to keep the coin and…I gave her an ANA pin and a plastic magnifier as well. She was thrilled! Mom got a sheet informing her that, when Stephanie received three A’s on her next report card, the ANA would not only reward her with a free coin, but also a six-month Young Numismatist membership! Stephanie beamed with excitement when she left the Kids Zone…and I discovered that kids didn’t make me so nervous anymore!

Until tomorrow, C4OA friends!

PS - I forgot to mention...the Cash Cube. You'll hear more about that one on Friday!

Mary Elise
Attachments:

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #2984 by maryelise8863
"Can you validate my parking?"

This is Mary Elise reporting live…from my home office where I’m resting my sore feet…after day two at the World's Fair of Money.

Parking validation was among a number of questions I fielded today at the ANA Show in Chicago, during my glamorous volunteer work as…an Ambassador. The title sounded distinguished on paper, which I’m sure it could be in perhaps executive and political situations…but not in this case.

Have you ever watched original episodes of Star Trek? If so, you’re familiar with the “Red Shirts.” There was a Red Shirt on every mission…and you knew the poor sap was going to bite it before the episode was over. Being an ANA Ambassador wasn’t quite that dramatic or dangerous…but passersby fondly referred to me as one of the “Blue Shirts.”

Blue-shirted Ambassadors (and the shirts were actually teal, thank you very much) were strategically placed in areas such as Registration, to help attendees get the information they needed, and to help them get wherever they needed to go. Today I was located at the second-level intersection of three indoor walkways that connected hotels, a parking garage, and the convention center. Anyone using the walkways had to pass by me. Since there was only one ANA poster in my area, that was a good thing!

I “directed traffic” as other another passerby jovially put it. Just like the parking validation comment, it was all in good fun. After all, there I was, standing alone in a walkway, talking to and sometimes startling every stranger in sight. I felt kind of like a street vendor. But everyone really appreciated the help! They thanked me for being there, obviously joked with me, and told me at least four times that someone should’ve brought me a chair. One kind person even brought me a gourmet cookie from the DoubleTree…yum!

I was grateful as well for the passersby… and not just because it was my job to help them, though that would be the noble thing to say. Honestly, I had forgotten my Wi-Fi device at home. Unable to be my usual constantly plugged-in Internet junkie, I was forced to resort to photographing planes coming in for a landing at nearby O’Hare airport, and watching the world’s largest and ugliest wasp fly around, thankfully on the outside of the glass windowed hallway. All in my downtime, of course.

I got to hear German, Russian, and a few other languages I couldn’t identify. I also heard some foul words from a gentleman who didn’t know there was a shuttle bus until he’d already made the long walk to the show…but he was grateful for my directions! I even got to help a partially blind lady get safely to the escalator (though I will never figure out exactly what a blind person was doing at a coin show). And I was able to entertain passersby with my upbeat directions, complete with Vanna White hand gestures.

The last two days just go to show…there’s a lot more to making a successful numismatic event than meets the eye!

Finally, Thursday will be coin day, my C4OA friends! I will be free from volunteering tomorrow, and I’ll be venturing onto the show floor…God help me. ;-)

Mary Elise
Attachments:

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #2985 by maryelise8863

Mary Elise
Attachments:

More
12 years 9 months ago #2986 by coindrummer
Hi Maryelise

Sounds like a lot-o-fun...I wish i could be there in old Chi-town!

Michael the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 9 months ago #2987 by coindrummer
Hi Maryelise

I have got to get me one of these!!! Yum

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds